What to Wear on Safari in Kenya
Share with friends
What You Need to Pack on Safari in Kenya
Planning a safari and do not know what to wear on Safari in Kenya? We have several tips for you.
During the peak season, from July to October, it is mostly dry. The days are hot and the nights are chilly. Pack lightweight layers in natural fabrics like cotton or linen which will keep you cool. It is also easy to wash and dry at the camp.
Evenings and early mornings are mostly cold. Pack a warm jacket or fleece. We recommend you carry a scarf and a warm hat.
When planning what to wear on safari in Kenya, we recommend wearing light colours and more especially during the dry months because it can be quite dusty and so they will easily get dirty. We recommend khaki and olive green colours.
Avoid black colour for it gets dusty with the dirt roads and safari trucks
Dressing code during dinner while on a Kenya Safari is generally casual and comfortable clothing. A Safari hat can be bought on arrival in Kenya and will come in handy especially during the sunny hot days.
Remember to carry mosquito/insects repellent, as well as a nice pair of sunglasses.
LIST OF WHAT TO WEAR ON SAFARI IN KENYA
- 3 pairs of trousers
- 2 pairs of comfortable shorts
- Trouser khakis
- 3 long-sleeved shirts
- 2 short-sleeved safari shirts
- Several pairs of socks
- Light cargo outdoor pants
- Sports bras
- Warm pyjamas
- Sweatshirt or fleece for early morning and evening wear
- Hiking Boots if your tour includes a hike
- Swimsuit for beach holiday, most hotels on safari have a swimming pool
- Safari hat with a chin belt that withstands winds
- Waterproof raincoat, especially if traveling to Kenya during the rainy season
- Lightweight walking shoes
- Flip flops or sandals for use around the camp or in the shower
- A camera together with the charger and a spare battery
- Beanbag for Camera stability during photography
- Memory cards
- Dust proof zip lock bags – not plastic bags as they are banned in Kenya
- Water bottle – plastic water bottles are not allowed in to the parks
Besides the above items, you will need a “Day Pack” which will have the following items:
- Lip balm
- Facial cleansing clothes
- Mints or chewing gum
- Tylenol or Advil
- Small notebook and pen
- Pony-tail holder
- Pet-waste bags
- Hand sanitizer
- Insect repellent
- Money/passport wallet